So, I've been browsing our questions, tags (and meta discussions regarding tags), but haven't quite been able to pin down how we decide whether to abbreviate tags or not. For example, I'm coming from a (mainly) Arqade background, and over there we tend to only abbreviate tags when they won't fit the 25-character limit. If the game has a well known, fan/community-made abbreviation, we add that as a synonym of the full game (for example, WoW->World of Warcraft).
However on M&TV I've seen a few discrepencies, most notably:
- Movies with the word 'the' missing, whilst other movies have them.
- TV shows where the community/fanbase abbreviation takes precedence, when the full name would fit.
- Other, more general inconsistencies (and spelling errors)
So how do we decide whether or not to abbreviate tags?
The Star Trek tags would fit if they were written out fully (albeit some dropping the middle 'the'):
- star-trek-voy (star-trek-voyager)
- star-trek-tos (star-trek-original-series)
- star-trek-tng (star-trek-next-generation)
- star-trek-ds9 (star-trek-deep-space-9)
Shows/Movies where we cut off leading 'the's:
- bourne-legacy (in fact all the bourne movies)
- dark-knight-rises (which has the-dark-knight-rises as a synonym)
Whilst others where we leave 'the' on:
Some other shows/movies with inconsistencies:
- buffy-vampire-slayer-tv should just be buffy-the-vampire-slayer. If and when we get questions about the movie, we can tag it something like buffy-movie
- scott-pilgrim could fit as scott-pilgrim-v-the-world - although I'm up in the air about this one. It should be 'vs', but that extra character would make it 26 characters long.
So, what's the policy on abbreviations? And should we do a cleanup?
- The spelling of the-order-of-the-phoenix has since been fixed.