I've been browsing M&TV questions, tags, and meta discussions regarding tags, but haven't been able to pin down how we as a community decide whether to abbreviate tags or not. Here's a few discrepancies I've noticed:
- Movies with joining words ('the', 'of' etc) missing, whilst other movies have them.
- TV shows where the community/fanbase abbreviation takes precedence, when the full name would fit.
- Other, more general inconsistencies, spelling errors etc
The Star Trek tags would fit if they were written out fully, even before the tag length was updated from 25 to 35 characters - (albeit some would have had to drop some connecting 'the's):
- star-trek-voy (star-trek-voyager)
- star-trek-tos (star-trek-the-original-series)
- star-trek-tng (star-trek-the-next-generation)
- star-trek-ds9 (star-trek-deep-space-nine)
Titles where we leave off a leading 'the':
- bourne-legacy (in fact all the bourne movies)
- dark-knight-rises (which has the-dark-knight-rises as a synonym)
Titles where we leave a leading 'the' on:
- buffy-vampire-slayer-tv could just be buffy-the-vampire-slayer. If and when we get questions about the movie, we can tag it something like buffy-the-vampire-slayer-movie or buffy-the-vampire-slayer-1992.
- scott-pilgrim could fit as scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world
spelling mistake(since fixed to the-order-of-the-phoenix)
I'm mainly an Arqade community member, and over there we tend to only abbreviate tags when they won't fit the 35-character limit. If the game has a well known, fan/community-made abbreviation, we add that as a synonym of the full game (for example, WoW->World of Warcraft).
So what is the policy on tag names and abbreviations for Movies & TV?