We just got two new questions about indie/amateur movie production:
The second already got closed, the first is on it's way there (three close votes).
I might be wrong, but this looks like a crossroad to me.
Do we want practical questions regarding movie production on this site?
Meaning: Do we want people who are planning to produce/producing a movie asking questions about real world problems regarding the production process. (like the two above questions)
The Help Center does not really cover those topics clearly:
What topics can I ask about here?
If your question generally covers …
- Analysis of content or theme of all forms of Movies/TV
- Identifying a Movie or TV series (see below for details)
- Questions about a Movie/TV show's production.
- The works of a director / an actor / a writer related to Movies/TV
- Movies also includes Made-For-TV movies, Direct-to-DVD, and Mini-Series.
Please note that the following subjects are considered off-topic here:
- Movie/TV purchasing/viewing locations
- The operation of playing a movie whether it be digital or physical format.
- Unimportant trivia that does not add to the understanding or appreciation of the title.
- TV news and current affairs
- A title's release date or rumors about a specific title or series.
- Opinions about or recommendations for a movie or TV show
"Questions about a Movie/TV show's production" could be interpreted in a way that allows those questions, but I think the intention behind this point was asking about the production of finished works of art, not future or on-going productions.
So, do we want to extend the scope to questions for and from movie makers, or do we want to focus on works that are already published or are being produced by major production studios.
I am really torn on the topic and can find good points for both opinions. Either way I think we should settle this now and clarify the scope for the future.