In relation to the former, I feel that product placement is the preferable tag because of its specific relationship to Movies & TV. Advertising is a huge world that includes many things, most of which do not relate to our topic.
Here are the questions that currently have the advertising tag (ignoring the closed questions) and what I propose be done to them:
- Are weapon manufacturer investing in product placement? [sic]
- Are the brands worn by the stars in a movie part of promotions?
- Is every appearance of a product in a movie sponsored?
- Why is a special company's product shown through out a film?
- First movie with product placement?
- Why are American movies often promoted abroad with titles -in English- that are different from the originals? [duplicate] (this is probably actually fine with only the title tag... the translation tag is silly because there's no actual translation happening, just rewording... but it's a duplicate, so it probably doesn't matter anyway)
- What is the main promotional image of House of Cards trying to portray?
- First movie that collaborated with fast-food outlets? (Media tie-ins are cross-promotion, a form of marketing)
This is just a general question about Big Bang Theory and I don't really think it needs an additional tag:
Should just be tagged reality-tv... this question is not about advertising at all... and, yes, I get that you shouldn't correct tags based on answers but the premise of the question is flawed and rules/laws that relate to advertising do not relate to entertainment TV:
These are questions about commercials, not necessarily about films or TV shows (though some are tangentially related). Commercials seem to be on-topic here and advertising (or advertisement?) could certainly be an option to separate these questions... or just commercial... though this goes against the concept of not having "movie" or "TV" tags because that's what the site is about.
- Are Movie Stars typically forbidden from appearing in future commercials resembling a played character? This one probably has more tags than it needs...
- Can someone explain the Acura “I sell cars, you sell you” ads? (seinfeld needs to be removed, could have plot-explanation?)
- Identify an Actress in Impluse Body Spray commercial from early 2000s (probably fine with just the identify tag)
This last group is the one I feel needs the most discussion but thoughts regarding all of the above are welcome.