As some of you might already have noticed, there is a new general chatroom associated with this site called Movies & TV Moderation and Maintenance. The primary purpose of this room is to serve as a meeting place and news feed for all the users interested and engaged in the moderation and maintenance of this site.
This does not mean we cannot discuss whatever important site maintenance topics we want in our main chatroom, The Screening Room. It is still a natural place to talk about the site. The new chatroom was primarily created to serve as a feed for various interesting questions and news items related to maintaining the site, feeds that would suffocate the main chatroom if they were all routed there. But maybe in the future it can as well serve for more important maintenance discussions that would otherwise clog the main chatroom.
Currently there is multitude of various different feeds served into the room:
- New meta questions: Those are naturally always interesting for everyone inclined on moderating the site.
- Smoke Detector: A site-filtered feed of the Smoke Detector bot that posts all kinds of suspicious possible spam or offensive posts. They might require corresponding flags or maybe just edits.
- Hot Network Questions: A site-filtered feed of all new questions that make it under the top 30 Hot Network Questions. Those questions sometimes require special attention, be it to keep discussions in line or to edit them into the best shape possible, since they're practically the signboard of our site towards the rest of SE. Unfortunately it can only track the top 30 HNQs currently, a problem already adressed on meta.
- Franchise questions lacking tags: Two feeds of new (or recently active) questions that either have a franchise tag (like star-wars) but no individual work tag (like the-phantom-menace) or vice versa. Those might require additional tags and are thus good to know for any users more experienced in the site's tagging rules. The list of work tags and their corresponding franchise tags is currently maintained manually by me as a Google Spreadsheet, but could in the future be shared with other users interested in managing it.
- Identification questions lacking a tag: A feed posting questions that have a genre tag (like horror) but no identification tag (like identify-this-movie). Those might need an ID tag. The list of genre tags is also maintained manually as a Google Spreadsheet.
Of course, those feeds are all just hints, there doesn't necessarily have to be a problem with a Hot Network Question, neither does every genre-tagged question have to be an ID question, nor is every post identified by the Smoke Detector necessarily spam. So still handle those posts responsibly.
So if you're interested in maintaining and moderating the site and its posts, feel free to pay that chatroom a regular visit. The volume of stuff in there should be rather low anyway, especially since the community already does quite a good job at maintaining the site. And if you have any other suggestions about this chatroom and its purpose, feel free to share them here.